Sunday, June 6, 2010

Almost there!

Don’t really know where to start…I know it’s been a while since I’ve written, but then again, my parents are probably the only ones keeping track. Things have been going great here in Ukraine. Summer is an amazing time to live here. It’s warm, and there are flowers and fresh fruits and vegetables everywhere. We have one week of training left, and on June 14th, I’ll finally know where I’ll be living for the next two years. As of right now, I have absolutely know idea, which I think is how Peace Corps likes it. I’m very excited for training to be over, but I will really miss my family. They’ve been so nice to me, and as my language improves and we can actually talk, I am now only starting to realize how amazing they are. I will definitely be back to visit them.

They’ve kept us pretty busy these last couple of months. Since our third week, we’ve been teaching health classes in Ukrainian. Oh, funny story (not really). We get assigned our topics, the first week, after only being here three weeks, my partner Matt and I were assigned to teach about spiritual health. You can imagine how that went. I don’t even think I can teach that in English. But lessons have been getting easier every week. As part of our training, we also ran a summer camp. The camp included first through tenth graders, which made it a little hectic, but is was really fun. We also held an “Ivanivka’s Got Talent” talent show. The house was packed and we raised a good amount of money for the culture house. We also had to dance and sing on stage, and we managed to learn a Ukrainian song (plus, we got to wear traditional outfits!)

That’s about all. A lot of working and studying and hanging out with the fam. I’ll write more when I know where my site is.

I always like to end with something fun, so I’ll give you some of my favorite Ukrainian superstitions:

  1. Don’t whistle inside. Whoever owns the house will lose all their money.
  1. Women, don’t sit on anything made of concrete without at least a blanket under you. It will freeze your ovaries and you’ll never have babies.
  1. If you just drink vodka, you won’t be hungover the next day, no matter how much you drink. But if you drink just a little beer and a little vodka, expect to feel horrible the next day.


That’s all for now. I hope to hear from many of you soon. Enjoy summer in America!

Check out the new pictures!

No comments: